Wednesday, January 22, 2014

It's getting real....and I'm getting real nervous

Today was the pre-op diet class. It's officially real kids. I'm starting to get nervous. I was warned about this: these feelings of doubt and I'm pre-warned about buyers remorse in the first few weeks. But I can do this. I am determined. I am strong. I'm just having a weak moment when hit with all of this information.

The first thing they talk about is the importance of hydration. Did you know that when you think you're hungry, you may not be hungry but thirsty instead. The body response is sometimes the same. Anyways, hydration is the most important part of this surgery recover/life change. I should get at least 64 ounces of liquids but no less than 96. I've struggled with this during this pre-surgery weight loss period. I get busy and I honestly do not think about hydration. But no more, I've got to make time and take the time to sip. I am thinking about getting a Camelbak bottle. It aids in sipping fluids and not gulping like I do now. Water really is an important key to weight loss. It aids in body function, appetite suppression, metabolism, and other issues like getting rid of constipation. And I don't have to drink just plain water towards my 96. In fact, 24-32 ounces of that should be something with electrolites like PoweradeZero (which I LOVE). I can have decaf cofee and tea, flavored waters, diet V8, Ocean Spray Diet Cranberry or Orange Citrus Spray, broths chicken, veggie or beef, and of course my favs sugar free Jell-O and popsicles. I have choices that don't involve just plain ol' water, but I enjoy glasses of those as well. Dehydration can be serious for me after the surgery. I really have to learn to take care of myself. So, if you see me after January 28th, ask me if I'm close to my 96.... There are some restrictions like not gulping which I already mentioned, no eating and drinking at the same time, wait one hour after meals before drinking and of course no carbonated beverages. I haven't had a pop since May 2013 so we're good on that one!

Next she went over the pre-op day before surgery diet instructions again. It was reiterated that I should get as much liquids as possible the day before surgery. They have to be clear liquids such as broths, water, orange, yellow or green PoweradeZero, and sugar free jello and popsicles. They cannot be red, blue or purple because those colors can dye the insides of your GI tract. I'm nervous about this because I'm so worried that I will hungry to the point of starvation, but I can do it. We have decided to stay in OKC the night before so that we don't have to get up at the crack of dawn and rush up there. We are going to group to the night before because I want to hear about those shoes, but we are also staying at a hotel with a pool so I can relax and maybe even do a little excercising so that I will sleep good and keep my mind on some positives.

Next she went over the different stages of the diet. Stage 1 is a 2 week liquid diet. This including the clear liquid hydraion diet as well as some protein suppliments like the high protein soups, drinks, pudding, and shakes. I think I might buy some soups on Monday because they say the warm things help sooth the stomach. I also cannot take any vitamins for two weeks.

The 2nd stage is the soft protein foods stage. Only 3 meals per day, no snacking. I also have to take small bites like the size of the eraser on the pencil. They also want you to try new foods one at a time and in small amounts. They warned us that food intolerances are common. Just because I love a food or drink now, I may not after surgery. It would wonderful if I developed an intolerance for fried foods, sugar and all that other banned stuff! The first week of stage 2, I am allowed, light or reduced fat cheese, plain creek yogurt, eggs, refried beans, and modified tuna/chicken salad (meat & condiment only). She suggested you try it in that order to help build up your tolerance for food. The 2nd step of stage 2 includes eggs, whole beans, skinless dark meat poultry, canned meat without condiments, deli meats that are shaved, fish, and tofu. She suggested that we try many rubs, herbs and spices to your food so that you don't get tired of the food. She also said that it common that I might like the spicier food after. Looking forward to that.

The third and final stage is called the lifetime stage. Because it's the last stage for a lifetime. It's basically intergrating stage 2's rules such as no snacking, 3 small meals per day with the diet I'm on now. Proteins and veggies. She recommended that you consiciously eat not while watching tv or working so you can really focus on your pouch and not get too full. She said that we should be nice to our pouch. She explained that our new stomachs is like a funnel. Which is why you can't eat and drink at the same time. The goal is to keep your pouch full so that your hunger is kept at a minimum. So think of a funnel, if you chew chicken and spit it out and then pour water on it, it's going to go down the funnel. It's easier to look at the picture, but makes sense to me.

Then she explained the new vitamin regiment to us. Of course I have to have a multivitamin; however, I can no longer have the tablets. They have to be chewable, capsule or liquid. I will also have to take a iron supplement, calcium citrate, Vitamin B12, and probiotic. I can't start taking these vitamins until 2 weeks after the surgery. I haven't shopped around for vitamins or decided which type I want to take. I need to do a little more research.

Next was a section over alcohol. I cannot have alcohol for at least 6 to 12 months. Why? Because right now, it takes my body 20 - 30 minutes to fill the effects and for it to hit my blood stream. After surgery, it will take 5 minutes. They call it the cheap date effect. I also need to watch the mixer drinks such as OJ, Red Bull, etc.. It's a small sacrifice, but I've given up Dr. Pepper & Sweet Tea, so this is most definelty doable since I don't drink but 3 or 4 times a year.

Next she went over a segment called "Special Topics." This is the part that kinda jolted me. Dumping syndrome is real and she explained it like explosive diarrhea. High fat (fried foods) high sugar (cakes, pies, ice cream) will give me this and it can last for 15 minutes up to 2 hours. Another "scary" complication is frothing. This one freaks me out too and cannot be caused by eating the wrong things. This is caused by mucous that collects in the pouch during the healng process and then this causes clear/frothy vomiting; however, drinking the warm soups/fluids can be helpful to breaking up the mucous. The final complication that scares me is the hair thinning/loss. As some of you know, my hair and eyes are the only attribute that I find beautiful about myself. So, the thought of losing my hair is scaring me. She said that some people benefit from biotin and other vitamins but they are not clinically proven to help, so I don't know.

What I am nervous about? I can't really explain but I guess the way to sum it is up is I'm afraid of failing. I'm not afraid of the pain or dying or the fight ahead. I'm afraid that I've wasted $10,167 on this surgery only to fail because I'm addicted to food. Tonight, I honestly was a little bummed about not having bread again or nachos or a cheeseburger. Honestly, it scares me that I'm that addicted to food that I will miss it. I understand it's psychological and I have done a good job of having the will power, but now that surgery is just 6 days away, I'm scared I will mess this all up. I'm scared that it won't work and all this work will be for not.

I just need prayers. I need prayer for patience, comfort, and healing. So for the next couple of days, I'm going to continue my diet, spend time with my family, exercise and rest to prepare for this life change.

Thank you all for reading. I may post on Monday at the hotel but I'm defintely going to try to post at the hospital. It just depends on how loopy I am afterwards. So, if I do post and it's crazy sounding, it's the the anesthesia. So, anyways, I hope you all enjoy my novel and I look forward to seeing your support because it really does keep me going!

God bless you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment